Zanjeer (2013)marks the Bollywood debut of yet another South Indian Actor from Andhra Pradesh, Ram Charan Teja. Earlier many others including Chiranjeevi, Nagarjuna, Venkatesh, Chakravarthy and even NTR have tried their luck in Hindi Cinema but their efforts overall have only met with mixed results so far. With Zanjeer, it is the new generation of Telugu Cinema which has set its eyes on Bollywood. This is close on the heels of Tamil actor Dhanush’s reasonably successful start to a Bollywood career with Raanjhanaa earlier this year.
Here are some interesting facts about Ram Charan.
1. Ram Charan is the son of Telugu Superstar turned politician Chiranjeevi and the ever popular Pawan Kalyan is his uncle.
2. He is the grandson of prolific Telugu comedian and Indian freedom fighter Allu Rama Lingaiah
3. Ram Charan’s screen sobriquet is Mega Power Star, a title derived from the sobriquets earned by his father and uncle. While his father Chiranjeevi is credited as Mega Star in films, his uncle Pawan Kalyan is credited as Power Star in his movies.
4. Ram Charan’s nick name is Cherry.
5. Ram Charan’s debut film was Chirutha which was released in 2007, but did not meet commercial success or critical success.
6. Ram Charan’s second film Magadheera was a record breaking blockbuster hit in Telugu Film Industry, the movie ran for 757 days in a cinema theatre at Kurnool.
7. 2013 will see 4 films of Ram Charan gracing the silver screen, which is a first for Ram Charan. So far he has never had more than one release in a year since his debut; in fact he did not have any release in 2008 and 2011.
8. Ram Charan shared screen space with his father Chiranjeevi, in Magadheera. Chiranjeevi did a 2 minute cameo in the movie in the form of an appearance in the Bangaru Kodi Petta song.
9. Ram Charan was a student of Kishore Namit’s acting classes.
10. Ram Charan was brand ambassador for Pepsi in A.P., while his father Chiranjeevi was brand ambassador for Thumps Up.
11. Ram Charan owns a Polo Team in Hyderabad, ‘Ram Charan Hyderabad Polo Riding Club’
12. Ram Charan is also on the Board of Directors of Telugu Channel Maa TV
13. He is married to Upasana Kamineni, the vice-chairman of Apollo Charity and chief editor of B Positive magazine. She belongs to the family which runs the popular Apollo Hospitals.
14. An entry to playback singing has happened with ‘Mumbai Ke Hero’ song in Thoofan, composed by Chirantan Bhatt.
15. Ram Charan’s father Chiranjeevi is supposedly a big fan of Amitabh Bachchan and has always wanted to work with him. Though that hasn’t happened yet he’s happy that his son has managed to work on the remake of one of the most important films in Amitabh’s career, Zanjeer.