Continuing with our list of films to watch out for at the 16th Mumbai Film Festival (2014), here’s part 2 of the same. Click here to read Part 1.
- Director : Matthew Warchus
- Cast : Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Dominic West
- Synopsis : Its the summer of 1984 Margaret Thatcher is in power and the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) is on strike. At the Gay Pride March in London, a group of gay and lesbian activists decides to raise money to support the families of the striking miners. But there is a problem. The Union seems embarrassed to receive their support. But the activists are not deterred. They decide to ignore the Union and go direct to the miners. They identify a mining village in deepest Wales and set off in a mini bus to make their donation in person. And so begins the extraordinary story of two seemingly alien communities who form a surprising and ultimately triumphant partnership.
15) Beloved Sisters
- Director : Dominic Graf
- Cast : Enriette Confurius, Florian Stetter, Hannah Herzsprung
- Synopsis : The aristocratic sisters Charlotte and Caroline both fall in love with the controversial young writer and hothead Friedrich Schiller. Defying the conventions of their time, the sisters decide to share their love with Schiller. What begins playfully, almost as a game among the three of them, soon turns serious as it leads to the end of a pact.
- Director : Rolf de Heer
- Cast : David Gulpilil, Peter Djigirr, Luke Ford
- Synopsis : Blackfella Charlie is out of sorts. The intervention is making life more difficult on his remote community, what with the proper policing of whitefella laws now. So Charlie takes off, to live the old way, but in so doing sets off a chain of events in his life that has him return to his community chastened, and somewhat the wiser.
- Director : Diego Lerman
- Cast : Ulieta Díaz, Sebastián Molinaro, Marta Lubos
- Synopsis : Matias and his mother Laura, find themselves forced to hurriedly abandon the house they live in to escape another outburst of violence from Fabian. Matias is 8 and Laura is newly pregnant. Thus they begin a wandering journey in search of a place they can feel safe and protected.
18) The Good Lie
- Director : Philippe Falardeau
- Cast : Reese Witherspoon, Arnold Oceng, Ger Duany
- Synopsis : Sudanese refugees given the chance to resettle in America arrive in Kansas, where their encounter with employment agency counselor forever changes all of their lives.
19) Next to Her
- Director : Asaf Korman
- Cast : Liron Ben-Shlush, Dana Ivgy, Yaakov Daniel
- Synopsis : Chelli (Ben-Shlush) is a pretty young security guard who lives and cares for her younger sister Gabby (Ivgy)while trying to juggle a job and love-life. Living in a rundown part of Haifa, Chelli refuses for her sister to be in contact with anyone but her, which refl ects more on Chelli’s co-dependency, rather than Gabby’s . When the demands of work weigh heavier, and love presents itself in the form of a nerdy, likeable substitute gym teacher Zohar, Chelli is forced to allow the outside world into the bubble they share which leads to startling consequences.
- Director : Yann Demange
- Cast : Jack O’Connell, Sam Reid, Sean Harris
- Synopsis : A young and disoriented British soldier is accidentally abandoned by his unit following a riot on the deadly streets of Belfast in 1971.
- Director : David Ayer
- Cast : Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman
- Synopsis : April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.
22) Party Girl
- Director : Marie Amachoukeli
- Cast : Angélique Litzenburger, Joseph Bour, Mario Theis
- Synopsis : An aging nightclub hostess decides to settle down and get married.
- Director : Ana Lily Amirpour
- Cast : Sheila Vand, Arash Marandi, Marshall Manesh
- Synopsis :In the Iranian ghost-town Bad City, a place that reeks of death and loneliness, the townspeople are unaware they are being stalked by a lonesome vampire.
24) Life of Riley
- Director : Alain Resnais
- Cast : Sabine Azéma, Hippolyte Girardot, Caroline Sihol
- Synopsis : In the midst of rehearsals for a new play, amateur dramatics proponents Colin and Kathryn receive the shattering news that their friend George is fatally ill and only has a few months to live.
25) The Search
- Director : Michael
- Cast : Bérénice Bejo, Annette Bening, Maksim Emelyanov
- Synopsis : A woman who works for a non-governmental organization (NGO) forms a special relationship with a young boy in war-torn Chechnya.