This post is dedicated to the one and only Superstar Rajinikanth who celebrates his 62nd birthday today ( 12/12/12 ). So how about looking at 12 interesting details about the person on this occasion? If you are an ardent Rajini fan then I guess you should be aware of most of these facts.So here we go-
1. Rajinikanth might have won numerous Awards including 9 Tamil Nadu State Film Awards but he is yet to win a National Award and the only Filmfare Award he has won as Best Actor so far came in 1984 for Nallavanakku Nallavan.
2. Garjanai was a tri-lingual film in Tamil (Garjanai), Malayalam (Garjanam), and Kannada (Garjana) where Rajnikanth was originally slated to do the lead role in the Tamil and Kannada versions while late Malayalam Superstar Jayan was to do the Malayalam version. Halfway into the shoot of Garjanam however Jayan unfortunately died on the sets of another film- Kolilakkam and hence Rajinikanth stepped into play the same character in the Malayalam version as well.
3. The only Bengali movie which Rajinikanth appeared in so far was Bhagya Debata, directed by noted choreographer S.Raghuram. Starring Mithun Chakraborty in the lead, the supporting cast included noted names like Mamta Kulkarni, Rituparno Sengupta, Puneet Issar, Soumitra Chatterjee etc. The film was also dubbed into Hindi as Krantikari. Incidentally Bhagya Debata/Krantikari and Bhrashtachar remain the only 2 films in which Rajinikanth and Mithun have worked together so far.
4. Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan have worked together on 18 films so far, 16 of them between 1975 and 1979. A very impressive combination indeed which was split up by them mutually after they realized that with both of them emerging popular it didn’t make commercial sense to work together. After a long gap they worked together on the Hindi film- Geraftaar where Rajnikanth had more of an extended cameo. Geraftaar is the only film to have 3 iconic actors- Amitabh Bachchan, Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan in the same film.Incidentally the 17th film on which they worked together was Thillu Mullu in 1981 which was a remake of Hrishikesh Mukherjee‘s Golmaal and where Kamal played a cameo.
5. Chilakamma Cheppindi a Telugu movie that Rajinikanth did in 1977 was special for 2 reasons. For starters it was the 1st film in which he played the main lead. Directed by Eranki Sharma it went on to be remade by none other than K.Balachander in Tamil with not Rajini but Kamal Haasan playing the same role this time. The Tamil version – Nizhal Nijamagirudhu also probably marks the only case of a Rajinikanth movie being remade by Kamal Haasan.
6. While K.Balachander is usually referred to as Rajinikanth’s mentor,the filmmaker who has worked on the maximum films with Rajinikanth is actually S.P.Muthuraman who made 25 films with him. Starting from Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri in 1977 all the way till Pandian in 1992 it was a fruitful relationship. Incidentally as a token of gratitude Rajinikanth is said to have apparently been instrumental in making S.P.Muthuraman the associate producer of Sivaji-The Boss. It was also with Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri that Rajinikanth actually played the hero for the first time while in a role reversal Sivakumar, who was a popular hero then, played the bad guy.
7. Rajinikanth’s 50th film was a Telugu film, Tiger where he got to work along with N.T.Rama Rao for the 1st and only time? . With Chiranjeevi however he has worked on more than one film- Kaali in Telugu ( a bilingual where Vijaykumar did Chiranjeevi’s role in Tamil ), Ranuva Veeran ( Tamil ) and Mappillai ( Tamil ). Incidentally Mappillai was a home production for Chiranjeevi as it was produced by his brother in law- Allu Aravind.
8. While he acted with many leading actors in Kannada Cinema like Ambareesh, Anant Nag etc its with Vishnuvardhan that Rajinikanth had a special bond. Starting with Sahodara Savaal in 1977 ( which was also remade in Telugu as Annadummula Savaal and dubbed into Tamil as Sahothara Sabatham ) they went on to work in other Kannada movies like Galate Samsara, Kiladi Kittu etc and also did a Tamil movie together, Viduthalai, the remake of Qurbaani. Incidentally after the dismal failure of Baba, Rajinikanth bounced back with Chandramukhi which was earlier done in Kannada by none other than Vishnuvardhan- Apthamitra.
9. While its common knowledge that Rajinikanth has gone on to do a lot of remakes of Amitabh Bachchan films, its also known that with a few exceptions most of these remakes in Tamil including Billa, Thee, Padikkathavan, Mr.Bharath, Velaikaran, Baasha etc also did well commercially. But not many know or remember that he has also gone on to do 2 Amitabh remakes in Telugu as well- Ram Robert Rahim, a remake of Amar Akbar Antony and Jeevana Porattam, a remake of Roti, Kapda aur Makaan.
10. Its common knowledge that Rajinikanth has worked in many Hindi films, most of them being multi hero films. He has worked with most of the leading Hindi actors of the 80’s & 90’s including Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna, Dharmendra, Vinod Khanna, Shatrughan Sinha, Mithun Chakraborty, Jeetendra, Jackie Shroff, Rishi Kapoor, Govinda etc. But the Bollywood actor with whom he has done the most films is surprisingly none of these people but Rakesh Roshan. Rajinikanth and Rakesh Roshan have worked together on Jeet Hamari (remake of Thai Veedu), Maha Guru, Bhagwan Dada and Daku Hasina. Considering this equation its a surprise that Rakesh Roshan has never worked with Rajinikanth in the films that he has directed so far.
11. Apart from acting Rajinikanth has rarely dabbled directly in other areas related to filmmaking. But on the few occasions that he has tried other activities,the results have not been encouraging. Be it singing in case of Mannan or screen writing and production in case of Valli and Baba.
12. While most of us know that his wife Latha Rajinikanth , daughter’s- Aishwarya and Soundarya as well as elder son-in-law Dhanush have a strong cinema connection, his extended family by now also seems to be very much into films. Dhanush’s father- Kasthuriraja is a veteran filmmaker while his brother Selvaraghavan is one of the respected filmmakers in Tamil Cinema of late. Also Latha’s brother in law happens to be the well known Tamil film actor and theatre personality- Y.G.Mahendran and her brother Ravi Raghavendra is also an actor seen in films and T.V. Incidentally Ravi Raghavendra’s son, Anirudh Ravichander shot to fame with the music of 3, which featured the chartbuster, Why this Kolaveri Di.
So lets see how Rajinikanth’s next film Kochadaiiyaan turns out. Till then Rajini fans can rejoice by watching Sivaji 3D 🙂