On the occasion of Amitabh Bachchan’s 70’th birthday here’s an AB special quiz from quizzer, marketeer and author, Diptakirti Choudhary. Dipta is an engineer who turned salesman after his MBA and later became a marketeer. He’s a self confessed AB fan and a big Bollywood follower. His 2nd book, Kitnay Aadmi Thay is now out in stores and as per his own admission its all about “Completely useless Bollywood trivia” :). So here we go with the questions.
- To start with an easy one: which is the first film in which Amitabh Bachchan received on-screen credit?
- When was Amitabh Bachchan supposed to play the role of Judge Lawrence Wargrave and why did he end up not playing it?
- What was Amitabh’s qualification in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham? And from where did he get that qualification?
- Explain the connection of this flower to AB.
- What is common to Anand, Manzil, Kabhi Kabhie and Baghban?
- Which stalwart presented the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award to Amitabh Bachchan?
- In the early 1980s, Jaya Bachchan referred to someone as her ‘souten’. Who was this person?
- Explain the connection of his precious gem to AB.
- Orissa Minerals Development Company is currently listed on BSE at a price of approximately Rs 44500 per share (of Rs 10), which is among the highest share prices in the country. In 2011, RashtriyaIspat Nigam bought a 51% stake in the holding company of OMDC. How is this linked to Amitabh Bachchan?
- Name this person and explain the slight blooper.
Send in your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by 19th October post which we will put up the correct answers and the scores of the participants.
Please do not mention the answers in the comments section for now.
Note- Answer this quiz and Westland Books will give 3 winners a copy of Kitnay Aadmi Thay each
Answers are as given below-
1. Bhuvan Shome, it is. Universally correct. His first screen credit was ‘Amitabh’.
2. He was supposed to play this pivotal character from Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None in his final year at Sherwood. He had won the Kendall Prize for acting in the previous year and if he won it again, it would have set a record. Unfortunately, he caught measles and was unable to perform. His father kept him company in the school infirmary and said a beautiful line to console him – “Man ka ho toh achha. Man ka na ho toh zyada achha…”
3. He was an MBA from King’s College, London. Inferred from the line Hrithik Roshan spoke about doing an MBA from London was about following a family tradition.
4. That flower is from the Singapore Orchid Garden and is called Dendrobium Amitabh Bachchan.
5. These are names of books written by Amitabh Bachchan and NOT films in which he wrote books. The difference is because Manzil was the name of the book he wrote in Ek Nazar.
6. Sunil Gavaskar
7. Shashi Kapoor, who co-starred with AB in a million films
8. That diamond is called the Millennium Star (though not in honour of the Star of the Millennium)
9. The holding company of OMDC is Bird Group, where AB worked as a freight broker while in Calcutta
10. The name of the character – as Rajni says in the Hindi version of Shivaji: The Boss – was Abhiram Bachchan while all the ID proofs show AB Bachchan. You could argue this is fine and this fictitous Abhiram had a middle name starting with B but there’s only one AB Senior in this world, okay?
And here are the scores-
Straight Cut, Subbu 5.0
Kaushik Ray, ABbaby 7.0
DS, VinBin, AKBose 8.0
Digant, Abhishek 9.0
Kinjal Mandawat 9.5 (given 0.5 points and declared topper for the super-detailed explanations)
The top 3 scorers will receive 1 copy each of Kitnay Aadmi Thay soon.